Monday, August 29, 2005

Ins & Outs

kobe quake kelley sculptures shoshazan so long street theatre shane

this past week, the return to work was easier than i had anticipated. doing my best to incorporate fun into everything i do, i have deprived myself of sleep over the course of the last two weeks in order to find the time to hang out with the folks i haven't seen in some time. most nights involve the sun coming up before i have time to hide in the den of sleep. i think that seeing the sunrise from the top of mt. fuji has given me a taste for 'morning fire' and my immune system isn't liking it very much.

i faced a 6-day work week last week, and the wednesday involved an epic journey to a small pocket town named wadayama where i got to team teach with tim, my newest colleague. we exchanged magic tricks and teaching tips and the other experiences we encounter under mutual circumstances. his classroom is inadvertantly a wireless hotspot, so he brings his computer to the classroom with him to get internet access. just amazing. it's hard to believe that i went through a month and a half of having this computer without having the internet and so i had seek pockets of connectivity around himeji. anyone else in japan with a wireless internet card can look at this site to find out where restaurants and hotels exist that provide this service for free. it's handy, especially if you're traveling around the country and you'd rather not pay through the nose for internet access if you want to send home an email. i hope that on my pending cross-canada tour i will be able to find the hotspots across our vast nation that will allow me to update a weblog to keep the journey documented.

yesterday at a beach i lost my house key. this created a difficult situation because i had no way of contacting my landlord and wouldn't really know what to say if i did. i discovered the empty key pocket at an hour when my company was unable to help me, so my friend scott graciously offered me shelter at his home last night so that i could call my employer today to sort it out. i have returned and i am safe.

there was a large earthquake in sendai while i was away at fuji. thanks to all of you who heard about it and thought to check in on me. i assure you that i am safe and sound and, like the other eathquakes i have experienced while living here in japan, slept through it. i'm a sound sleeper.

i've decided to post some old pictures that might not have been shared back at the old yahoo! photo post i was using before i set up this blog. that site is still active, but updates are few and far between now that i have a new photo storage site and this website. also, a treat: i'd like to dedicate this following photo to l. ron hubbard and all the scientologists out there. cause hey, cults are hip. it's worth the wait so let this load up:

tom cruise

No comments: