Friday, September 16, 2005

Summer Breaks

temple en route rice street

well, it seems that after a long, long period of incessant humidity and oppressive heat, the world beyond my air-conditioned room is starting to cool off. yesterday the air was said to contain a gentle cool breeze. the rice stalks are heavy with maturation and ready to be harvested. in a way it's a shame, because for many areas it's as much green space as you see and i hate the look of the empty dirt fields interspersed between the apartment high-rises and the run-down stripmalls here in shikama.

my hobby as an amateur runner has suffered greatly from the heat because i've had to change my regimen to avoid the sun, leaving me to run at night. typically this meant starting my run after work at 11pm or later. between stretching and the walking cool-off, i was lucky to hit the showers by 1:30am. last night, however, with the cool night breeze i set out to put myself back on track. there was i time when i was running 12km almost every other day, and i hadn't done a full route for quite some time. but something happened.

i'm now sitting in my apartment in a state of ridiculous pain. based on a brief internet search, i'm pretty sure i've managed to give myself itb, or iliotibial band syndrome. and it hurts. fortunately it doesn't look too serious and i should be able to treat it myself. but it's the first time i have sustained an injury from running and i guess i just tried too hard to jump back into my full route after taking time off. stupid.

well, i won't be jumping around with the kids today. hopefully i can find a way to teach from a stationary position and we can keep the dancing out of it. i suddenly feel 75 years old. i have to teach some of my wildest kids today. wish me luck.

No comments: