Saturday, September 30, 2006

See you next year!


Liz and Alex have left Japan and my life - for the time being. Next year in June they'll be getting married in Vancouver and I'll be there. Alex proposed to Liz a few weeks back in Bali when they went on vacation shortly before leaving the company we all worked for. Congrats to them and I can't wait to see them again.

Part of the reality for any ex-pat is the fragile and often tentative nature of all the friendships you develop while living in a country you don't plan on making your permanent home. Somewhere like Japan, where there is a lot of money to be made if you come for a year and play your cards correctly, is especially notorious as a place that fosters good friendships between people and then people return to the reality of their old lives. I wish I could say that I will stay in close touch with everyone I've met here in Japan, but in truth, you can only hold the closest ones with you along the way. Sometimes that just involves knowing you'll see them again after some time apart.

And of all the Vancouver people I've already met in Japan, these two cats will definitely remain a part of my life. I miss you guys already!

No comments: